Thursday, March 11, 2010

a fairytale?

In this one blog, I can't remember the name but on the side she had a "sticker" that said something like, "We're so fairytale, it makes people sick". I've always believed that about my hubby and I except that it never made anyone feel sick. My friends, especially, my high school friends that saw us grow into each other since 10th grade, LOVE that we're still together and that we're successful despite everything that's happened.
It makes me happy that they're genuinely happy for us. I love them for that, for always being sincere. I think that's why it's been so hard for me to make friends, because I compare every new person to my high school friends. I wasn't necessarily super close to them, but we do talk and I know for a fact that I can rely on them for anything. I trust them not only with my life, but my baby's life as well. That's how awesome they are.
I also read in facebook someone put in their status update, "Good friends are like star. You don't always see them but know they're always there". And this is so true for my high school friends. They're not even that, they're my sisters.
I've grown up with most of them since I first moved to Nicaragua when i was 7 turning 8. My closest one of all practically lived me and she will always hold a special place in my heart. Actually, it's not fair for me to say she's my closest friend, because each one of those girls hold a place in my heart that is special and unique. these girls helped shape who I am. And I hope that they'd say the same thing about me. Right now, becasue I'm feeling so nostalgic, I'm going to share anecdotes about each one. By the end of this you all are probably going to want to call your BFFs. lol
The first one I'll share is about H. There's so many stories with her that I don't know which one to choose, but the one I always share is the one I'll describe now. WE were in the 5th grade and since the 3rd grade I had been hearing about this girl who was BFFs when my then BFF. Naturally, I was jealous and disliked this unknown girl. Then one day I walk out of class and I see these group of girls, including my BFF, surrounding someone. I peek and I knew instantly it was H. I wanted to turn away and cry, but I didn't. I decided to play nice, so I managed to walk up to her and say, "I love that icecream. Isn't delicious? especially the middle caramel part, it's my favorite part!" (she was eating ice cream btw). She turn to look at me with her flaming red hair and sed, "You want it? I can never finish things!" From that moment we were fast friends.

My next friend is one I made the moment she walked into the 5th grade classroom. I always seemed to empathize with the newcomers so I always befriended them. Anyways, we were already friends for a while. I was at her house and I asked her if I could talk to her about something. It was the second time I had my period and I had been experiencing some technical difficulties. so, I asked her, "When you get out of the shower, how do you manage NOT to dirty the towel? The maids keep getting mad at me, becasue I leave it all bloody." She replied simply, "I use toilet paper. It's easier that way and you can make sure you're dry." It was so enlightening that I've always loved her for it. Then she sed, "you know if you ever need anything, you can always ask me. I love helping out people, and I want to be here for you." Mind you, this girl was a month younger than me, yet she's always had the wisdom of a mature, middle-aged woman. I will never forget those last set of words, because I did rely on her a lot even she didn't know it.

this next and last girl is one I am fortunate enough to see more frequently than the previous two. I met her in the 8th grade. That year we were bombarded with new girls, but this one was the one I became friends with. I want to share a very recent story about her but I'm not sure how she'd like it if every knew. So, instead I'll share this one. She was about to leave to Fl in a few days so she invited me to her grandfather's farm. we horsebacked, we walked around, we told each other stories, we played pretend. We acted like little kids and it was so wonderful. It's what childhood should be like. Well, they were dropping me off and I had promised myself not to cry. I don't cry often anyways so I thought it wouldn't be hard. WEll, next I know she walks me to the gate of my house, I turn to give her a hug, and I start crying my eyes out. I was so distraught because she was leaving me. She hugged me back and said, "Don't cry, K. We're still talk and we'll write letters and call. I always come visit." I hugged her tighter and gave her a kiss on the cheek and walked into my house. It's a sad story to tell, but the thing is with her, J, we only had one year together. The rest of our friendship has been through phones, letters, or e-mail. And the rare visit. Somehow, though our friendship maintained and it has never been awkward with us. NEVER. WE pick up right where we left off as if the last time we saw each other was the day before. For that she will always be a part of my life becasue it's been almost 10 years of a long distance friendship and we're still sisters.

I have more friends that are just wonderful. and each one should be recognized, but by then I'd be mentioning my whole class. lol. I say give all your BFFs and sisters big hugs today becasue without those girls we'd be nothing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This post is so touching. I have some very rare and special girlfriends who I will love forever.

There is only one that I talk to almost every day. The rest are the ones that I rarely see but every time I do, it's just like we were never apart and we catch up right where we left off. :o)

Hope you're having a wonderful week K! I am making my way back to the living after being severely under the weather on the weekend.

kathryn said...

I love this! Yes, having good, close, REAL friends are priceless...and absolutely need to be cherished and appreciated.

There's nothing like knowing that someone will be happy for you, no matter what!

I know your little one will be just as lucky as her mom when she makes her lifelong friends...

KT said...

Thank you to both of you. All three of my friends responded to me, because i sent them the link and they loved it. One of them even sed that i made her day. Somehow though, i always know when she needs a boost like this. i love all of them...but i;m glad i have such great blogger friends as well. so thank you Krista and Kathryn for always reading and commenting.