Monday, September 28, 2009

the edge of love



Today I saw the film The Edge of Love, by director John Maybury. It was a pretty good, not even considering that sienna miller almost had a lead role in it. The plot is based on Vera Phillips (Kiera Knightly) who sees her first love, Dylan Thomas, the famous welsh poet (played my Mathew Rhys). They still love each other, but Dylan has a wife, Caitlin (Sienna Miller), and son. Despite the animosity between Vera and Caitlin, they become best friends and love each other (not in lesbian sort of way). It's supposedly based a several true stories, but aren't most movies?
This film was a little depressing. It reminded me a little of Surfacing by Margaret Atwood, except it wasn't AS depressing and Great Gatsby, except it wasn't AS dramatic. But the feel and idea of the film resembled those two books.
I tend to get really affected when I read or watch movies, and this movie did just that. This movie was really sad in the sense that Vera actually loved her husband, William, but no one really believed her, not even herself. It took her a while to realize it, but at the end when she felt almost she almost lost for good (and not because of the war), she realized that she did love him and not Dylan.
I wish life didn't take this long to figure things out. I wish that the people who suffered during all these pointless wars didn't have to suffer. This film made me hate war more and more.
I'm sorry if I'm just rambling and babbling, but this film really shook something inside me and I can't figure out how to be coherent. The film wasn't EXCELLENT, but it was good. It might be because of the mood I'm already in, but the Edge of Love moved in such a way that a movie hasn't done in a while. Oh, except for Goya's Ghost, which I watched the other day. Amazing story and extremely sad. I cried a lot of Natalie Portman's character. Why are we so cruel? What is it to be a human? Because in history it means to be merciless, cruel, prideful, etc.

2 comments:

kathryn said...

Hey sweetie! Nice blog....I NEVER get to the movies anymore. Thank Gawd for movies on demand! Tks for commenting & flwg at my place! Can I make a teeny suggestion? Move those little bobble-heads (google flwgrs) higher up on the page so it's easier for ppl to find and flw!

KT said...

Thanks for the follow! Yay, i have 4 followers now. =) BTW thanks for the suggestion about the followers. Hope to seeing you around more, and hopefully i won't bore you too much. =)