Monday, January 25, 2010

Friend fairy, where are you? it's me looking for a friend!

Friend fairy please bestow on me the gift of making friends!
One you thin you all don't know about me is that i have NO IDEA how to make friends. I've met many people, I talk to people during class (recently anyways), I walk with them as much as I'm able to our car/next class/library/etc. Somehow, however, I can NEVER EVER make the GINORMOUS leap from class/work acquaintance to friend. I've tried asking my parents, but they just laugh at my incompetence; I tried asking the hubby, but he doesn't really care for friends so I feel his advice is a little outdated. I'm out of hope. =(
Ok, there's this girl in my sculptures class and she's TOTALLY cool. She's what I picture when I think of a frien, a best friend maybe. She's cool, and pretty, and a brunette (all my friends in high school had to have a different color than me, don't ask). She's creative, and smart, and older! For some ODD reason, I just don't mesh well, with people my age. Even though my bestest from high school is my age, everyone else just don't like me as a friend. I mesh well with younger kids becasue I take on the role as big sister. I get along REALLY well with older people because, well, I truly believe I'm an old soul. Also, especially now, that I have toddler and am only 21. Yeah, not many 21-year-olds with toddlers. Our priorities are different, and their tolerance for me talking about her and other adult things is low.
Well, every semester I find myself wanting so badly to befriend someone. To see that person OUTSIDE of class/work/whatever. I know for a fact I'm overthinking this, but the problem is, no other person I've met is looking for friends. They already have friends, and don't necessarily need another one. But I do need a friend. I need a girlfriend who I can no matter and not feel I'm interrupting. I need a girlfriend who I can ask for favors or babysit, even. I need a girlfriend who when I call will be there for me no matter what. I need a girlfriend that NEEDS me and will visit me at my house often, becasue I won't visit them at their house too often. I need a girlfriend who I act all lesbiany with. Someone to discuss books, and movies, and TV shows. I need a soulmate.
I had one, actually 3. But over the years it's hard to be close with them, and all 3 of them live in different states. They can't come here and I can't go there. It's been hard to keep in touch with them, and i need someone who i can physically hug and stop dreaming of hugging them.
Do you guys have any pointers? and I swear if any of you mention to just ask them out to coffee I will strangle you, because I've tried that and all I get is rejection. I HATE rejection!
So, any pointers, let me know. =)

For my Prima/Bestie: Don't get offended by this post. If you're concerned about it, call me and I'll explain. LOVE YOU!

4 comments:

kathryn said...

Okay....no coffee! But what about S? I mean, does she go to any daycare, or gymboree or something? Other moms of 2-year-olds would give you something in common and like you said, most moms would be older as well. Couldn't you connect (or join) a group for toddlers and moms? Then you can do the playdate thing...that always worked for me. You need the commonality thing. And NEVER assume that ppl don't NEED/aren't looking for friends...you can never have enough friends! I've made several close friends as an adult with kids. No expiration on it, sweetie.

KT said...

I never see the moms at daycare. And actually, I've noticed that for the kids in S's class the dad's pick them up/drop them off. I've tried the whole mom thing anyways already at the doctor's office. But she's in her early thirties and was VERY mommy like and totally judged me.
Befriending moms is hard because they don't think I'm serious enough because of my age. It's hard this whole finding a friend thing. Grrr.
Thanks though. I think I will try to get involved with the daycare more. I know that there's 2 younger moms, so maybe them? We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Maybe some sort of playgroup and meet other mom. Often libraries or book stores have a story hour or a park...sorry if these seem lame.

KT said...

No, it's not lame. For any other person this would make complete sense. But did i forget to mention that I'm incredibly shy? I mean I haven't told any of you fellow bloggers my real name.
I think I'm going to try the book group thing. S loves to read books as much as I do, so that might actually work.