Thursday, October 8, 2009

last part of Caged.

The last time we saw our heroines, Helen and Kattie, Helen had just told Kattie, "He's going to kill us." Now let's continue with the story. (BTW, sorry for not finished it yesterday).

"Hey hey hey! There's not going to be any intentional killing just yet. Let's not talk about such tragic matters for right now." The man standing only 3 feet away from us said. What was strange is that his accent was perfect. Actually, I think it was a little too perfect. I looked at Helene questioningly and she just stared at me. Her was look was a loaded one and it meant to pay attention to the word "intentional". I don't if I was relieved or not to hear this man's reassurance. On the one ahdn I won't be getting murdered, but on the other what did he mean about any intentional killing?
The American, I'm assuming he's American, broke my inner turmoil and said, "Well, since I know you will not leave; just allow me to lead you."
He let us hold each others hands as he led us into the store. Helene was shaking and she kept trying to fight back tears. I probably looked exactly the same if not worse for I just realized that I probably will never see my baby girl or husband ever again.
The American liked to walk really slowly, as if he was waiting for something to happen. It took too long of a time for us to get to the back room of the store. When we finally reached the backroom I secretly wished we had taken longer.
It was enormous. It probably could have been a whole other convenience store. It had dark hardwood floors, the walls were painted in a chocolaty brown, and there were no windows. There were only two light fixtures, so there wasn't much light. I kept trying to not concentrate on the other side of the room. I had a feeling we would be spenidng quites a lot of time there and I could only hope it would at least be together.
The American grabbed Helene and me and threw us towards the other side of that room. There were two king size beds draped in a deep red down comforter. If it weren't for the situation they would look absolutely delicious. The turn off? They were both in cages. "Get in the first one. Both of you." We did as we were told and got in. He came towards us, but did not get in, he leaned against the bars and closed the cage's door extremely slow. finally, we heard the loud clank of our lives being shut out.
I will never know Serafina's next word. I will never know what type of boy she falls in love with,. I will never know if David gets re-married. I will never know what Serafina will major in, who she'll marry, what extracurricular she enjoyed, if she loved reading as much as I did, if she loved any of things I loved doing. I will never see her again.
Without realizing it I had started crying. How can I give them the satisfaction of power? How can I let them see that I actually had a life? This is exactly what men, or people, like them want. They like, they love, to know that they are robbing someone the ability to actually live a life.
The American called me over towards him. I crawled across the bed and knelt in front of him with iron bars in between us. He reached his arm through and caressed my wife. It was incredibly endearing even though I knew he was probably going to do awful things to me. "Do not worry so much. You know not what may happen. Bad situations do not necessary lead to bad outcomes. Keep that in mind tonight." The American said to me trying to be sympathetic. If he actually has a heart why are we here?I didn't ask that out loud for fear that my worst nightmares will come true.
When he turned away I stayed where I was next to the iron bars. I couldn't move, I couldn't continue crying, I couldn't do anything. It was difficult for me to stay that way, but I felt it was for the best because to cry would be a waste of time. At least this way I can think of something, anything, that might help Helene and I.
After what seemed like a long time I felt Helene's hand on my shoulder. "Kattie? You ok?"
I turned to look at her and shook my head in defeat.
"I don't want to lie to you," she said, "but I don't think things will be ok."
"I know," I said dismally.
"Look, I'm sorry for getting angry with you earlier. I yelled at you, because I was actually happy you came back for me. I was angry, because I probably wouldn't have done it for you."
"Don't worry. You don't know what you would've done in that situation. Now we know you can trust me for anything. And I'll learn that I can trust you for anything as well."
"I will do everything in my power, Kattie, to get you back to David and Serafina."
"It's ok Helene. We're not going to get out, and I would appreciate it if we just stayed realistic. Actually the only thing I want to be hopeful for is a quick and pianless death."
She looked at me with disbelief. I knew what she was thinking and I didn't care.
For the rest of the night men came in and out of the caged bed we were in. Some would ask us to do things, others would just watch. Some would get extremely violent and others would treat us like royalty. That night was the most painful night I will ever have experienced. Not necessarily physically, but emotionally. When I die I will not have died pure. My body would be tainted of other men and their impure thoughts. I will never have the grace of dying and having been with only one man.
At some point I fell asleep.
 Ugh! What happened last night? Ow! My head hurts. My whole body hurts. Seriously, what did I do? What time is it? Oh my goodness I can't hear the monitor! Where's the the monitor? "babe", I croak groggily. why is my voice so hoarse? "Babe!" I try to say a little louder. Where is he? I can;'t see! "Babe!?" I sobbed. Memories started flooding back into my temporal lobe. Shock. Oh no!

Even though Helene and Kattie are the Heroines of this story, theirs don't end so well. The night before Helene had managed to steal one of the men's pocket knife. She hid between the fold of the bed and cage and decided to keep it there until it was absolutely necessary. When men stopped coming to them Helene tried to fall asleep like Kattie. However, she couldn't because Kattie was sobbing and yelling in her sleep. Helene laid awake all night/day trying to come up with a plan to save them. Shortly after Kattie woke up Helene came to her and said, "It's over. Everything will be alright." Kattie understood what she was going to do and prayed it would be painless and effortless. Helene grabbed the pocket knife and slashed Kattie's throat and poke the knife directly into her heart to speed up the process. After a few minutes Kattie was dead. Helene then looked up and said, "God, please forgive us for we had no choice. Accept us as we were before these events happened. Accept Kattie especially for she came back for me when she was free. Thank you Lord for my life, and I am now ready to join You in the heavens." She grabbed the pocket knife securely in her right hand, her strong hand, and pierced her throat open.



4 comments:

Rosemi said...

How were you able to sleep again after a dream like that? Insanity.

lacy said...

Yay thanks for the comment on my blog! Of course if you ever want any help making scrapbooks for your family I am happy to oblige!

(ps- that books sounds INTENSE)

: ) Lacy

kathryn said...

NOOOOOOO.

I want a do-over. I want a happy ending! This simply will. not. do.

I demand a re-write. re-dream. Whatever!

KT said...

Lacy: I loved your blog, and you'll probably be hearing more of me. About the scrapbooking; i;'m not sure if i have enough patience. But thanks for offering.
Kathryn: I'm sorry. =( That part actually wasn't dreamt, I just ended because it needed to end. It was getting WAY too personal and I couldn't take feeling as if I was actually being used in such a way, BUT i'm considering in writing a little novella based on this story. It MIGHT have a happier ending.