Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nicaragua, my love my everything


I don't know if any of you know this about me, but I grew up in Nicaragua. Nicaragua is the largest country of Central America in between Costa Rica (which borders the south of Nicaragua) and Honduras (which borders the Northern line). It is the only country in the world with fresh water sharks.
I had lived there since I was 7 (turning 8) until I graduated from high school at 17.
I lived in the city of Managua, which is the main city of Nicaragua. I went to the same school since I was 8 and knew the same classmates since then. It was a pk3 - 12 institution, all on the same campus. I loved living there and the reason why I left is to go to college. Also, my boyfriend (who is now my hubby) was going away for college and like a hopeless romantic I followed.

I never lived in Granada (which is another city in Nicaragua), but I visited quite often. This first picture is of the Cathedral of Granada. It was recently painted a few years ago. It's one of my favorite cathedrals in Granada. My second favorite (which is the second picture, the blue one) sits right in front of the BEST breakfast restaurant I have ever been to. It's called Kathy's Waffle House.The owner is American, but his wife is Nicaragua. He is around 70 years old and she is about 30, i think? But you get the age difference. They make these delicious scrumptious waffles that are to die for. Now, I have been Vegan for over a month, but I would give it up just to have those waffles, with syrup, and bacon, and hash-browns. Oh, and the chocolate tastes better too.
I miss being there. I miss that's there's now AC in the house. I miss the sounds of the chorus of the birds chirping as the sun comes up. I miss hearing the owls hoot in the almond tree. I miss hearing the bats in the hole of my room scuttling across my room trying to get out. I miss hearing the dogs stampede outside of my room thinking there's a burglar. I miss them barking at my room when they see a light turn on. I miss waking up, going to my parents room, and then coming back to my room with the bed made and the room cleaned. I miss having meals prepared for me and eating at the dining table every school day at 3. I miss the sense of freedom I have over there. Yes, i drive here. Yes, I am now my own boss. Yes, I make up my own rules and eat what I want. Yes, I don't have anyone telling me to keep things clean. Yes, I can techinically get in my car and go wherever I want. BUT life in Nicaragua is just so much simpler. Not because I had mommy and daddy do everything for me, but because it really is. even when I go visit twice a year, I still feel that freedom. Even though i don;'t drive myself around there's always the chauffeur or my mom or dad or friends who can take me where I want to go. I miss being at my parent's house doing the same things I do in my own, but not feel suffocated. Since everything is closed in here and all I breathe is the air that the AC provides I feel as if I'm in a prison cell. People say the grass is always greener on the other side, but when I lived in Nicaragua I never cared for the other side. My grass was perfectly green and soft.
I know that someday I will go back, but until then I will have to make do with staying in Miami, right?
I think tomorrow I'm going to talk about how life was for me growing up in Nicaragua. =)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Fascinating; and beautiful pictures!

There is something incredibly freeing about the simple life isn't there? I know that simplicity is one of my favourite things about going camping, or for a hike in the bush somewhere. No cars, no phones, no tv... just - simple.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and learning more about Nicaragua. Thanks for sharing!

rosemi said...

It must be difficult to live here when you feel so fondly for another place. Hopefully you can go back soon and live happily ever after. :)

kathryn said...

Lovely memories.....great photos. Just remember...your new life is here! It's nice to revisit the past, but you have your whole life ahead of you!

KT said...

Picture Imperfect: at least you have that option of hiking and Camping. Living in Miami, it isn't easy to do things like that, especially if I have to drive really far. Long car rides are not fun with an active almost 2 yr-old. even though I know I can;t live in nica for a while, I look forward to moving out of Miami.
Rosemi: Tell me about it. I didn't want to come here in the first place, but then if I wouldn't have ever come here I would've never met you. And I love you too much to regret moving here. =)
Kathryn: True. easier said then done though. Actually I feel as if I'm in Limbo here. I'm waiting to move away, which might be a problem if I never move away. But I keep telling myself there are no if's on that matter only when's. right?

lacy said...

those photos are so lovely! and you are too cute, you may create away! Gather your corks and get your glue on. : )