Friday, October 16, 2009

More of Nicaragua



Growing up in Nicaragua definitely was an adventure. From canopying (or zip-lining) to cliff diving to horseback riding to driving to a beach at 3AM to always somehow finding a ride to anywhere you want to go. Yes, I have done all these things and more before I was even 17 years old. Now, don't you dare judge my parents for many reasons: (1) as a true teen I didn't tell me parents the whole truth until after the fact, (2) I was a good student and good kid (3) the value of trust parents have for their kids in Nica is a lot higher than here, we're like mini-adults, and (4) to be gallivanting all over Nicaragua isn't dangerous as doing the same here.
So, for today's blog I will first put pictures and then tell you stories about them. Sounds good? GREAT! Please keep your hands and feet inside this blog until it is done, thank you. =)

All these pictures are taken in Leon, which is the second largest city in Nicaragua after Managua. This is where our great poet Ruben Dario was born in Leon. As true poet and tortured soul he wasn't brought up by his parents and he lived through economic hardships. If you like poetry and know Spanish his poems truly are magnificent. Within each poem he gave a part of his soul, and that was uncommon at the time and even now.
Anyways, I took these pictures during a field trip. We were allowed to go onto the rooftops of certain cathedrals and take wonderful pictures. I never really liked Leon very much because of the heat and also because whenever I've visited it's during what is known as the "collegiate season" in which university students temporarily live in Leon to go to the University there. It gets really crowded and those kids were never nice to field trippers like us. Moving on...
There was however an extremely beautiful house that used to be a convent. It has an open courtyard and the meals were delicious. I think they're strictly for weddings now because I have not visited and every time I ask my Mom she says that they don't serve the public anymore.

NOW ON TO THE BEACHES



All three beaches are on the pacific ocean. The first two were taken in Viejo Ppchomil (or Old Pochomil). The second one is taken in Pochomil as well except it's at the resort called Montelimar. Montelimar is the most famous beach resort Nicaragua has. I've gone there several times and know everything about that place, it was like my playground growing up.  As you can see there's a lot of sand and the waters are blue. there's always waves so it's good for body surfing (don't do in a two piece, triangle bikini), boogie boarding (don't try to stand up on one if you want to keep your bottom on) and surfing. I never saw much surfers to be honest, but I think it's because you'll find most people sitting on the beach, soaking the up the sun, and drinking Toña or Victoria (Nicaraguan beers). Me? I'd probably be sitting on the sand drinking a taz (rojita (red soda) with xtra lite (a form of white rum), or smirnoff ice, or Jose Cuervo's margaritas with the tequila included straight from the bottle. Now, don't judge me on age, life over there was different and kids were taught to learn the effects of alcohol and how to consume responsibly. That didn't mean there were some funny moments in which someone would get too drunk, but hey we were just kids. Anywho, that doesn't matter now because I can finally drink legally, which kinda doesn't make it fun anymore. ;)
I went to the beach a lot; not just with my parents but with my classmates. We took maybe 6 trips in our senior year alone to the beach as a class. If we didn't go to the beaches we'd go to a someone's farm that had a river, or we'd go to Laguna de Apollo which is in Granada. Yeah, pretty much every weekend was an adventure.

I wish I could sit down with all of you and share how I grew up and where I went and what we do and what trouble we got in to. Not..that..I..ever got into trouble. (shifty eyes). I hope that no matter where I live I can instill this lifestyle in my daughter (and future daughers, yes, i'm only going to have girls). Don't take life so seriously, enjoy your youth because you never what may happen, and just enjoy life. I thank God everyday that I was able to go out, have fun, and have no serious responsibilty before going off to college. Why? Because a year into college I had the most wonderful gift I could ever ask her for. The price of that gift was to become responsible and not be as careless as before. I'm grateful that I had the advanatge of living in Nicaragua and experienced what normal 20-somethings would experience. now there are no regrets.
alright, i better go before I get all teary-eyed. Hope you enjoyed my post today, even though it probably makes no sense.
Happy Friday!

4 comments:

David said...

Wish we could go back and do it all over again...not to change it, but just to experience it all again :)

BlackLOG said...

I have no problem with the freedom that you had as a child. One of the main problems that we have in the UK and I guess America, is a fear of risk which is means children are covered in cotton wool. This leads to young adults who are unable to cope with real life...

kathryn said...

What beautiful photos...and what an amazing life you've lead for one so young! It's fascinating and you're even making me learn stuff.
Don't know how I feel about THAT...

KT said...

Babe: Seriosuly, I wouldn't give anything up right now, but if I could just do everything again. Maybe in christmas we should some of those things. yeah?
BlackLOG: That's why I like the life I had a teen. We started to drink young with our parents knowing, but you'd have never found us drunk driving, intoxicated or anything ridiculous of that sort. Everything was controlled.
Kathryn: That's the way my mom feels whenever I teach HER something, but like someone (don't ask who because I don't know) says, "You can always learn things from your children".