Monday, November 16, 2009

alright alright

Ok, I have failed and haven't posted in a few days AND I never posted a follow-up on thes tory about my dad. Since I'm self-diagnosed ADHD I say skip that story and I'm going to dive right in to another one. THIS story is a little more interesting and some of you might find it a little out of the norm. (I know I did, and am still grossed out about it).
On saturday all the way in Nicaragua, my parents were invited to my grandmother-in-law's surprise 80th. They didn't want to go, of course, but I made them go. Later that night night my dad tells me they had a BLAST and were pleasantly surprised that they actually had fun, you considering on how you're NOT supposed to like the in-laws. Anyways, he bugs me to get on skype so we can chat through video.
I do as I was told and regretted the moment I saw his face.
He goes on to tell me that my hubby and I are RELATED!!! At first, I'm like, "Yeah, papa, I know. We're all related in Nicaragua". This is true, BTW, somehow everyone in Nicaragua is related. Since his parents are from there and my mom's side of the family is as well, I just figured that we probably were. But very distant and probably through political marriages and what not. Well, it turns out we are blood related. AHHH, I know! I said to my dad, "Wh-wh-What do you mean, we're related by bl-bl-blood??" My father, of course, starts to laugh at my expression and explains the story. This is how it went:
"You're great-GREAT-grandfather and his great-GREAT-grandfather are brothers. this means that Opi ( my great-grandfather) and his great-grandmother are cousins. Opi had Mommi (my grandmother) who had your mom who had you. His great-grandmother had his grandmother who had your mother-in-law you had him. The reason it took so long for us to find this out is because Both Opi and his great-grandmother were bastard children and both changed their names."
The last part of this story is true. My Opi grew up with his mom who is Delgado. But his REAL last name is Baldizon. My hubby's great-grandmother was always known as Flor Baldizon, but it should've been Baldizon Flor.
So, there you have it folks, I married my 5th cousin. Crazy, how small this world is, isn't it? There's another lesson to be learned about this story though. It seems as if cheating runs in the family.
What's scary is that if Opi and my hubby's great-grandmother wouldn't have been bastard children then our families would've mixed circles. I would've known David as my cousin my whole life and would've never married him. We would've never had the beautiful S. Yeah, he's my 5th cousin, but I think it was meant to be.
There you have food for thought. Enjoy this crazy post.

10 comments:

David said...

yay! i love you cuz! =P

Rebecca S. said...

Interesting, but probably much more common than people think! I noticed your comment on Milkmoon's blog and thought I'd say hi. I love books, too!

KT said...

David: deja de ser chancho

Rebecca S: IDK, weird things like this happens to me ALL the time. But whatever, there's really nothing I can do.
Thanks for stopping by! =) As my name implies I am the biggest bookaholic I know. But then again, IDK too many people. Hope you enjoy the rest of my blog.

katy said...

I agree that it's probably more common than any of us realize... especially for those of us whose families have been in the same part of the country for several generations!

KT said...

Katy: Yeah, I should've known that we were somehow related, but I just didn't think since our families are from different cities within the same country. And somehow I never ended up being related to anyone in my grade.

Lesson to be learned: Ask for ALL last names. jajaja

kathryn said...

Wow. Uh-huh....uh huh. So. The only time I can see this being an issue is when S has to do her family tree for school.

We'll deal with it then!

KT said...

Kathryn: It's an issue because I've made fun of people like this my whole life. And now I ended up marrying my 4th cousins. That's pretty close where I come from. In Spanish we have this saying, "La lengua castigada"...roughly translated, "The tongue punishes"..?
Basically what means is watch what you say. Now I know not to judge people anymore. Or make fun of them.

Unknown said...

LOL! I love this story! You and your husband sound like a neat couple with a great sense of humour!

Buen dia, mi amiga bonita. Besos!

~Penny

KT said...

Penny:
NICE, a spanish speaking canadian. jajaja. It is definitely a story for the grandkids. My hubby and I are different than the average couple, that's for sure. (well, in my opinion anyways.)

Unknown said...

LOL... hablo un poquito. Necessito mas tiempo para practicar! Trabajo mucho!

Glad you can laugh. :o) The grandkids will think it's funny too, I'm sure.