Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cheating is so wrong

This week I have started to read The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. I said in my previous post that I was going to read the book sin their original language, but decided against in this one since it about 700 pages long. I just finished Chapter 25 out of 69 chapters. Yeah, I know, it's a lot. There's more chapters than a Harry Potter book, but not more pages. The longest Harry Potter book has close to 900 pages, my guess would be 872.  (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire...and yes, I actually know these things by memory.) Anyways, TOTALLY off topic.
I'm sure most of us (especially us younger ones, or the ones with kids) have seen the movie Disney's The Three Musketeers. Yeah, so not like the book. Alexandre Dumas is a french writer who started out writing this book as a comedy series (this is the reason for many inexplicable things in this book). So, it starts off just like that. But of course since it's from a different era and Europe the humor is really different then from what we know. For one, it's an intelligent humor heavily influenced by politics and society in France (specifically Pris) during the 1800s. The story is actually mostly about D'Artagnan who has some status in him, but not much. He is later introduced to the infamous three musketeers, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. At first he gets into fights with them and they despise him, but later they start to like him. D'Artagnan, or DA as I like to call him, seems more like their pet, but at other times their leader. DA isn't an official Musketeer, but M. de Tréville treats him like one and respects him like one also. Alot happens in this half of the book, but at times nothing happens.
Dumas' writing style is really choppy and somewhat disorganized. However, after reading him non-stop you get used to it and then you're better abel to predictable his writing style depending on the mood of what's happening.
This book is definitely a guy's book. There's adventure, there's pointless fighting, there's affairs with pretty women. There's secrecy and honor and rivarly. It's hard for me to relate to the book because I like love. I can read ANY book as long as it has some type of love interest. This book has that, but in the form of affairs. That's one thing I cannot take. I hate affairs and the sense of cheating. If you don't like your hubby or wifey then just get a divorce, don't sneak behind someone else's back and go back to them and kiss them goodnight.
When I started reading about the affairs I had to take a break. Too much negative emotion to continue reading. When I'm done reading the book, probably tomorrow, I'll show my table of pink post-its. I'll explain that when I'm done.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheating is so wrong and it all comes back to haunt the cheaters! I am almost finish David Sedaris' book. Once I have done that, I am going to buy the next one :)

Unknown said...

I feel the same way - cheating is wrong and I have zero respect for cheaters.

When I read a book/see a movie that shows a person/people cheating on their significant others - the book or movie MUST make it clear that these people are the villains, or I am turned RIGHT off. Kind of funny but I don't want to spend time IRL with cheaters, and I don't want to see them in my entertainment either!

So there! lol... nice little rant for you in your comments section. ;o)

KT said...

WannabeVirginia W.: Can I call you WVW? Anyways, I've only read the one David Sedaris book. After this little adventure I might read another.

Penny: Unfortunately, the cheaters are not the villains. The cardinal and all his followers are. =( It's just so sad, that cheating as always been seen as OK as long as it's "true love"....
LOVED the rant.

kathryn said...

A table of Post-its, eh?

Well, you're on your way....you reading-maniac, you!

The only Three Musketeers I'm familiar with is the candy bar.

(oh, sooooo lame)

KT said...

Kathryn: YUP. and that's all I'm going to say until I write about it.

You sounded like my Dad with that last comment about the chocolate bar. Those are his favorite, also 100grand....What would YOU do with 100Grand?.....I'd eat it. (woah, totally off topic there)

Straight Guy said...

Pretty women AND pointless fighting? I know my library card is around here somewhere.

Tea said...

"There's more chapters than a Harry Potter book"

A few years ago I read Atlas Shrug with a whopping 1300+ pages. Great book but it gave me weird dreams for some reason. It's odd because earlier this year I started to read another Ann Rand book "The Fountain Head" and again... weird dream so I stopped reading the book and read a raunchy romance novel. Those dreams were much better:)

KT said...

Straight Guy: You see...a total guy's book.

Isabella: I've never heard of her, but not sure if I'll read her now since you say it gave you weird dreams. I agree on the romance novels. Those dreams are NIIIICE!