Tuesday, December 8, 2009

my reading adventure

*takes a deep breath* alright, I'm on the verge of changing things around here. When I first my blog I wanted to make it about books and movies. that didn't work out so well, so I just wrote. I took this blog as a writing project. I already write in a diary, and am currently working on a book. But some days I can't seem to write in either, so I made a point to TRY to write everyday in this blog. Doesn't matter what, I just wanted to keep writing. Keep my vocabulary somewhat acceptable, to make sure the use of grammar wasn't falling apart, and most importantly to work on proofreading (which still hasn't worked out).  However, for the past month and a half I've been wanting to theme my blog again. So many bloggers have a theme, even if it is unintentional and I like the feel of it. For example, at  Penny's you can always expect at least one marvelous photo. at Kathryn's you can except a full on adventure out of the most mundane thing, at WannabeVirginia W.. you can expect expect rants and tidbits of everyday life which makes you feel as if you're connected to her. (BTW, these blogger's paid me to shamelessly advertise them) See, all these bloggers have a theme. Even if they didn't they did, they do. Me on the other hand, I don't feel as if I do. I think my theme as turned into a potpurri of complaints. That's a little sad if that truly is my theme. So, after pondering for 6 weeks now on what my theme could be I decided on something. It wasn't fully my idea, but I think it's a good one. I watched the movie Julie & Julia today (yes, instead of studying). It is a must watch among bloggers, btw. It was truly magnificent and inspiring. The movie was a like a piece of delicious chocolate cake. Soft, light, sweet, and just right to fill that ache in your heart/stomach.
So, (drum roll, please) I'm going to write about books for a whole year. I found a website  that has a list of the Literary Classics and I will read them all in one year. After, or maybe during, I read each one I will come here and write about it. I'll discuss what I liked, didn't like. I'll be an unofficial critic of the world of books we all should've read in school.
Why the classics you ask? Well, I hope to be a writer someday. Maybe not a published and ultra famous writer, but one that is acknowledged. I've always believed you can't truly learn to write well without reading the greats. And let's face it, the classic authors are the greats. If they weren't great they wouldn't still be talked about today. I will learn how to write from the best teachers I could ever have.
So, for the next year I will read about 3 books a week or 14 books a month to ultimately have read 167 books by the end of the year. My first book will naturally be the first one on the list: The Three Muskateers by Alexandre Dumas which was publsihed in 1844.

As a sidenote, I will read the books in their original language. This shouldn't be a problem since most of them are in English, and one of them is in Spanish. The only time you'll see me struggle is with my French which I think two of the books are.
Can't wait to start on the adeventure.


365 days to go and 167 books to read

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cool idea! :o) I am looking forward to following you on your journey... because it means *I* don't have to read the classics. hehe

I LOVE books and I love to read but I don't usually pick up the classics. Perhaps I'll be inspired?

Thanks for the shoutout! The cheque's in the mail. ;o) hehe

kathryn said...

Okaaaay. No freakin' pressure, honey! What? You don't have enough going on in your life??

Just don't make yourself crazy...that's all I worry about. It's easy sometimes to fall into that trap...and I wudn't want blogging to feel like a chore instead of a staycation...ya know?

"A full adventure out of the most mundane thing"?? Yikes.

It scares me how much you GET me!!

Spot said...

Man, I knew I should have paid you!! Lol.

I think that's a very ambitious goal you've set. I checked out the list and I've only read 35 of the 167 books. I'm not sure if I would agree with all their choices. Mostly because they have multiple books by the same authors. I think that it should be limited to once book per author simply to allow you a wider range of styles. Also there are some notable authors missing!! (very upset on behalf of Jane Austen).

But I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the books!
♥Spot

KT said...

Penny: SWEET! thanks for paying so rapidly. Kathryn has still yet to pay me. I'm excited for this journey too. I just got my first book, and it's 673 pages, but the font size it huge, so it's cool.

Kathryn: I was worried about that too. And that's what happens a few times in the movie. But I do love to read, and I've been meaning to follow a list for some time. Next semester is going to be a slow one because i'm taking two art classes, a psych retake, and my senior lab. Not much reading in either of those classes. And anyways I have the next 4 weeks to read. Watch me have read like 20 books instead of only 14.
BTW, I am studying to be a psychologist, I know how to read people.

Spot: I know. The Great Gatsby isn't there, neither is To kill a Mockingbird, or Fahrenheit 451...there's a lot of greats missing. But I've all those plus more, that's why I chose this list. Because I haven't read a lot of them. I've only read 7 of them and that was back in high school, and I probably used cliffnotes, but can't remember.
I'm super excited to start. Can;t wait to finish Finals to get started on my first book.

Unknown said...

The check is in the mail (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). That is awesome your reading endeavour. I had a reading list too, still have, but the idea was - for me to read it when I retire. So while I sit near a window near a creek, waterfall, I shall read all the great classics, but heck why wait till then, (I might get run over by a bus tomorrow!) why not start now. I will read along with you and be there while you journey into the literary world.

Unknown said...

P.S. the reading list hardly had any women authors :(

kathryn said...

I'm baaack.....

Well, good for you! I just don't want to see you stressing if you give yourself a specific number you feel you HAVE to reach.

Wanna hear somethin' weird? Every time I hit your site, I get a pop-up saying Twitter wants me to verify my ID. I always hit "cancel", but it never happens anywhere else.

Weird, right?

KT said...

WannabeVirginia W: YAY! I'll have a buddy in my adventure. =D I know. I think I might come up with a list all on my own. I mean, c'mon they didn't have Virginia Woolf, or Emily Dickinson.

Kathryn: I know about the Twitter thing, but I don't know how to take it off. I think it's the widget. I'll get on it. I'm not going to force myself to do anything. 167 is just a goal, and if I can't make it, then no big deal. my real goal, like the one i can actually do, is just double to number of books I read this year next year. So, that'll be about 50.

Natalie said...

That is very ambitious! I try to make reading goals, but it's usually like one a month. Haha.

Gay Guy said...

Book Addict:

May I call you BA for short?

First, thrilled to find your blog through Kathryn, who, as we all know, if the hub of all blogging.

Second, anyone named Book Addict is great by me.

Third, I can't wait to follow your adventure. I am a reader, but sometimes a book can sit on the night stand for some time. Among the reasons I look forward to the upcoming holiday is two plane rides, great for reading, and a quiet house full of mutual and related readers.

Happy Adventures.

GG

KT said...

Serendipitous: I've never had a reading goal. Not even in high school when you're supposed to read a book a month. I would never read them. I'd just get the summaries. Awful, I know! But who didn't do that?

Gay Guy: Welcome! Of course you can call me BA. Yeah, I have 4 whole weeks of no deadlines! (lets out sigh of relief) It's so relaxing that i can read books for pleasure without feeling guilty.
I'm going to my parents house for two of those weeks and of course the first thing I'll do is leave the baby with my mom and lock myself in my room and listen to music, read and practice the piano. (takes another sigh) I can just see myself now. That's definitely my happy place.